Friday, July 6, 2007

“WTF?”

I wondered how long it would take and the moment came…I had my first real “WTF?” (what the *#&*?) since being here – during which time I should really tell myself “TIA” (this is Africa).

I was asked this afternoon to edit a letter that has been written for the Rector of the University to the Minister of Education. The letter was terrible – sentences not making any sense. When I tried to make the necessary corrections I was told that I couldn’t and I was just to check for grammar. I told my co-worker you cannot put a band aid on a broken arm and expect it to be fixed – I cannot fix the grammar of sentences that make no sense. So – I had to edit a document which is an embarrassment to the University and sign my name to it.I hate these moments as they are completely frustrating and almost bring you to tears…usually how you react has a lot to do about how you are feeling about being away in that moment….guess I am having one of those afternoons when going home to my apartment would be a lot nicer than shuffling home to my insect ridden single bedroom….

3 comments:

Unknown said...

okay and now stupid question time, from your friendly neighborhood eqao seat partner.........did you cut your hair?

:D

cant tell from your photos,

Nat

C.MacLennan said...

Nat;

Hi sunshine...thank you so much for the beautiful comments! You are so sweet.

I def. look forward to getting together when I get back - then you can tell me all about your new job...;)

And yes - the hair is all gone...

Unknown said...

well then let me be the first (or second or third) to tell you that you TOTALLY rock the hair. I love it!

Nat

And yes please please please please call me as soon as you get back so that we can go out and play and you can regale me with more tales that you have not posted here!