Tuesday, July 17, 2007

An old soul

Each day since our first walk to work, we have come across the same beautiful girl dressed in her red and white uniform on her way to school. She is about seven years old. On the first day our paths crossed she walked straight towards me, exuding confidence, stuck out her hand to shake mine and asked, "Hi, how are you?". Each day I see the same girl and our interactions have become more intimate and less complex. We see eachother from a distance and smile and wave. As we move closer together we each extend a hand. I reach down towards her small outreached palm. As we stride past eachother, our hands touch briefly in the typical Rwandese style. That is all. I look forward to this brief encounter every morning as it has become like meeting up with an old friend each day I walk to work....I suspect this young girl is an old soul.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I used to pass the old woman on the street every morning as I went out to meet Christine in front of the Maadi Grand Mall. She was always sitting on her stool, wrapped in a black shawl. She would give me this huge toothless smile and say "saba alheir" (good morning in arabic). I always looked forward to seeing her.

Unknown said...

Hey
Hope everything is good. Be safe really be safe. We are very proud of you you are doing good work but remember you have to think of yourself sometimes I hope know what we mean.

We are off to Europe for our 1st year anniversary. WOO HOO

LOve you take care

Colin and Nelson

P.S you know that we want to adopt what is the laws????