Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Kibuye

On Saturday, we decided to head North to Lake Kivu, staying in Kibuye. Our original intention had been to head down to Burundi for the weekend; however, bus availability left us having to find an alternative. This region is absolutely beautiful and reminded us of northern Ontario - without the noisy water vehicles. Unfortunately, due to a truck in the ditch that blocked traffic on Saturday, we did not get to Kibuye until Sunday morning. The hotel was incredible; very clean, cheap, rustic in a cottagy way, balconies right on the lake, and a decent restaurant.
Incidentally, on Friday, a colleague of mine disclosed his very tragic story of genocide survival; a story that illuminates the strength and kindness of the human spirit. I have not yet decided whether or not I am going to publish his story as it is quite personal (obviously). However, his story took place in Kibuye, which was the hardest hit region during the genocide as 9 out of 10 Tutsi were killed. It was interesting to be in Kibuye two days after hearing my friend's story. It certainly brought the genocide to life as we visited another church were 4, 000 people died.
Hotel Bethanie (where we stayed)
Enjoying pre-dinner drinks from my balcony
View from my balcony. The D R Congo in the distance.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a courageous thing it is you do. By courageous I mean, I don't think I would have enough power in myself to be able to go to these places that are relics of peoples lives, the lives that they have lost and the brutalities that they have gone through. I think that my heart might just break into a million pieces.

I hope you have peace and strength to continue to do what you are doing and learning what you are learning.

C.MacLennan said...

thank you for your wishes natasha -